8th Annual Pediatric Healthy Weight Summit
Movement Matters: Physical Activity for the Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Obesity and Its Co-Morbidities
Friday, November 2, 2012
East Carolina Heart Institute
Keynote Speaker: "Physical Activity and Society" presented by Shellie Pfohl, MS, Executive Director, President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition
* Slides from this presentation are not available for download.
Understanding Motivation for Health Behavior Change: A Self Determination Theory Perspective"
Presented by: Jennifer La Guardia, PhD, Associate Professor Clinical, Department of Psychiatry and Research Associate, Center for Community Health's Healthy Living Center, University of Rochester
Click here for materials from Dr. LaGuardia's presentation.
How Fit Are Wii? Active Video Games: Public Health Boon or Bust?
Presented by: Thomas Baranowski, PhD, Professor of Pediatrics and Nutrition, Baylor College of Medicine
Click on the links below for articles related to Dr. Baranowski's presentation.
1. Active video games for youth: A systematic review
2. Is enhanced physical activity Possible using active video games?
3. Fit For Life Boy Scout badge: Outcome evaluation of troop and Internet intervention
4. The Fun, Food and Fitness Project (FFFP): The Baylor GEMS pilot study
5. Behavior science in video games for children's diet and physical activity change: Key research needs
6. Food, fun and fitness Internet program for girls: Pilot evaluation of an e-health youth obesity prevention program examining predictors or obesity
7. Impact of an active video game on healthy children's physical activity
8. Serious video games for health: How behavioral science guided the development of a serious video game
Is It In You? Nutrition for Optimizing Physical Activity in Obese Children
Presented by: Abbie Smith, PhD, CSCS, CISSN, Assistant Professor of Exercise and Sport Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Click here for slides from Dr. Smith's presentation.
Concurrent, Repeated Afternoon Workshops:
Motivation and Behavior
Presented by Lesley Lutes, PhD
Click here for slides from Dr. Lutes' presentation.
Assessment of Physical Activity and Fitness in Children
Presented by Matthew Mahar, EdD
Click here for slides from Dr. Mahar's presentation
Concluding Plenary: "Exercise As Medicine"
Moderator: David Collier, MD, PhD
Description: 4 sequential platform presentations selected from abstracts related to physical activity programming that address obesity and co-morbidities.
"Use of a portable gym system in adolescents in a pediatric weight management program"
Presented by: Dominique Williams, MD, FAAP
Click here for Dr. William's presentation.
"Impact of a mentoring-based exercise program on fitness, weight-related outcomes, self-perceptions and motivation in overweight adolescents"
Presented by: TomRaedeke, PhD & Megan Elizabeth Sawyer, BS
Click here for Ms. Sawyer's presentation.
"Effects of Resistance Training for Lower Extremity Strengthening in Adolescents Who Are Obese"
Presented by: Amy Gross McMillan, PT, PhD
Click here for Dr. Gross McMillan's presentation
"Effects of An Afterschool Physical Activity Intervention on Physical Activity, Aerobic Fitness and Body Composition"
Presented by: Grace Anne Edwards, MS
Click here for Ms. Edwards' presentation.