Take Off 4-Health is a healthy lifestyle camp for overweight boys and girls ages 12-18. The 3-week residential camp is held at the beautiful Eastern 4-H Center in Columbia, NC and is supported by the ECU Brody School of Medicine.
Due to a lack of funding, the camp was not offered in 2012 and 2013. Additional funding is being sought. Please check back periodically for further updates on whether the camp will be offered again.
Take Off 4-Health helps campers lose weight, build self esteem and learn the tools necessary to lead a healthy life and reduce their risks of developing chronic disease.
Past Financial supporters of Take Off 4-Health include:
- Pitt Memorial Hospital Foundation
- Bank of America
- Roanoke Chowan Hospital Foundation
- Children's Miracle Network
- Pitt Partners for Health, Nutrition and Physical Activity Subcommittee
- Sylvia English Memorial Fund
- Jerry Atkins
- Eastern District of the North Carolina Dietetic Association
- Rep Express Catering
Nutrition Handouts for Families
Click on the links below to download and print out copies of the nutrition handouts used at the 2009 Take Off 4-Health camp.
Click here to view a "Camper Card," a tailored nutrition tool that guides campers in menu selection and portion sizes.
Leadership for Take Off 4-Health
East Carolina University
- David Collier, MD, PhD, Department of Pediatrics, Brody School of Medicine, Camp Medical Director
- Yancey Crawford, MPH, Department of Pediatrics, Brody School of Medicine, ECU Camp Liaison
- Amy Gross McMillan, PhD, PT, Department of Physical Therapy, College of Allied Health, Physical Therapy Consultant
- Glenn Harris, MD, Department of Pediatrics, Brody School of Medicine, Diabetes Consultant
- Natalie Taft, MS RD, LDN, Department of Pediatrics, Brody School of Medicine, Food Service and Nutrition Education
- Lesley Lutes, PhD, Department of Psychology, College of Arts & Sciences, Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy Consultant
- Keeley Pratt, PhD, MFTA, Department of Child Development and Family Relations, Medical Family Therapy Program, Behavioral Therapist
North Carolina State University
- Carolyn Dunn, PhD, Department of 4-H Youth Development and Family and Consumer Sciences, Cooperative Extension Liaison & Nutrition Education
- Lee Scripture, Department of 4-H Youth Development and Family and Consumer Sciences, Eastern 4-H Conference Center, Eastern 4-H Center Liaison
Other Leadership Members
- Sarah Armstrong, MD, Duke University Medical Center, Clinical Consultant