Surgical Resident Scholarly Activity 2006 -2007
Note: Resident names highlighted in BOLD
1. Agle SC, Kao LS, Moore FA, Gonzales EA, Vercruysse G, Todd SR. Early predictors of prolonged mechanical ventilation in major torso trauma patients who require resuscitation, Am J Surg Dec;192(6):822-7, 2006.
2. deFreitas DJ, Phade SV, Stoner MC, Bogey WM, Powell CS and Parker FM. Endovascular stent exclusion of a hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm. Vasc Endovasc Surg, (Accepted for publication, status: in press) 2007.
3. Stoner MC, deFreitas DJ, Phade SV, Parker FM, Bogey WM and Powell CS. Midterm results with laser atherectomy in the treatment of infrainguinal occlusive disease. J Vasc Surg (Accepted for publication. Status: In Press), 2007
4. Bard MR, Goettler CE, Toschlog EA, Sagraves, SG, Schenarts PJ, Newel MA, Fugate M, Rotondo MF. Alcohol Withdrawal Dyndrome: Turning Minor Injuries into Major Problem. Journal of Trauma 61(6):1441-1446, December 2006.
5. Fugo JR, Reade CC, Kypson AP. Spontaneous pneumomediastinum. Current Surgery Volume 63, No. 5, p.351-3. 2006.
6. Goettler CE, Fugo JR, Bard MR, Newell MA, Sagraves SG, Toschlog EA, Schenarts PJ, Rotondo MF. Predicting the Need for Early Tracheostomy: a Multifactorial Analysis of 992 Intubated Trauma Patients. Journal of Trauma, 60(5):991-6, May 2006.
7. Kardys,Clark; Powell, C.Steven; Parker,Frank; Rotondo, Michael; Chitwood,W.Randolph; Chapman,William; Bogey, William;Pender, John;Stoner,Michael; “Prevention of Mortality for Pulmonary Embolism in Bariatric Patients through IVC Filter Placement. SAGES April 18-22,2007 Las Vegas, NV.
8. Kardys,Clark; Powell, C.Steven; Parker,Frank; Rotondo, Michael; Chitwood, W. Randolph; Chapman,William; Bogey, William;Pender, John;Stoner,Michael; “The Use of Intravascular Ultrasound to Improve Utilization of Inferior Vena Cava Filters in a High Risk Population” Presented at Symposium on Vascular Surgery March 21-24, 2007, Orlando, FL.
9. Karmy-Jones R, Jurkovich GJ, Velmahos GC, Burdick T, Spaniolas K, Todd SR, McNally M, Jacoby RC, Link D, Janczyk RJ, Ivascu FA, McCann M, Obeid F, Hoff WS, McQuay N, Tieu BH, Schreiber MA, Nirula R, Brasel K, Dunn JA, Gambrell D, Huckfeldt R, Harper J, Schaffer KB, Tominaga GT, Vinces FY, Sperling D, Hoyt D, Coimbra R, Rosengart MR, Forsythe R, Cothren C, Moore EE, Haut ER, Hayanga AJ, Hird L, White C, Grossman J, Nagy K, Livaudais W, Wood R, Zengerink I, Kortbeek JB.Practice patterns and outcomes of retrievable vena cava filters in trauma patients: an AAST multicenter study. J Trauma. Jan;62(1):17-24; 2007
10. Todd SR, McNally MM, Holcomb JB, Kozar RA, Kao LS, Gonzalez EA, Cocanour CS, Vercruysse GA, Lygas MH, Brasseaux BK, Moore FA.A multidisciplinary clinical pathway decreases rib fracture-associated infectious morbidity and mortality in high-risk trauma patients. Am J Surg. 2006 Dec;192(6):806-11
11. Sagraves SG, Phade S, Spain T, Bard MR, Goettler CE, Schenarts PJ, Toschlog EA, Newell MA, Cairns B, Peck M, Rotondo MF: A Collaborative Systems Approach to Rural Burn Care. Journal of Burn Care and Research 28(1):111-4, Jan-Feb 2007.
12. Phade SV, deFreitas DJ, Powell CS and Stoner MC. Evolution of bacterial arteritis into a mycotic arotic aneurysm. Vasc Endovasc Surg 2007, In press.
13. Kypson AP, Reade CC, Wood W, Mohr FW, Chitwood Jr. WR. Robotically assisted repair of a papillary muscle injury due to blunt trauma. Journal of Trauma Volume 61, No.1, p. 209-10. 2006.
14. Kilpadi DV, Bower CE, Reade CC, Robinson PJ, Sun YS, Zeri R, Nifong LW, Wooden WA. Effect of Vacuum Assisted Closure Therapy on early systemic cytokine levels in a swine model. Wound Repair Regen. 2006 Mar-Apr,14(2):210-5.
15. Cook RC, Nifong LW, Jacob E, Enterkin BS, Charland PJ, Reade CC, Kypson AP, Masroor S, Chitwood Jr WR. Significant Reduction in Annuloplasty Time with the Use of Nitinol Clips in Robotically-Assisted Mitral Valve Repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surgery. 2006 (In press)
16. Thampi AK, Corprew RN, Pories WJ. Nutritional Consequences and Management. In Pitombo C (ed), Obesity Surgery: Principles and Practice, McGraw-Hill, in press, 2006
17. Tyson GH, Rodriguez E, Cinar-Elci O, Koutlas TC, Chitwood Jr. WR, Ferguson TB, Kypson AP. Cardiac surgery in patients with body mass index ≥45: outcomes and long-term results in the super obese. Annals of Thoracic Surgery (Accepted for publication)
18. Williams SL, Jones BP, and Pofahl WE. Preoperative Management of the Older Patient – A Surgeon’s Perspective: Part 1. Clinical Geriatrics. 14(6), 2006.
19. Williams SL, Jones BP, and Pofahl WE. Preoperative Management of the Older Patient – A Surgeon’s Perspective: Part II. Clinical Geriatrics. 14(7), 2006.
Resident Regional & National Presentations:
1. deFreitas DJ, Phade SV, Law Y, Powell CS, Bogey WM, Parker FM, Stoner MC, Mid-term results with Laser Atherectomy in the Treatment of Infrainguinal Occlusive Disease. Presented at the Southern Association for Vascular Surgery 31st Annual Meeting, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, January 17-20, 2007
2. Stoner MC, deFreitas DJ, Manwaring ML, Kardys CM, Mendoza RM, Hudson W, Stallings TL, Parker FM, Bogey WM and Powell CS. Open versus endovascular treatment of TASC C and D femoropopliteal occlusive disease. Society for Vascular Surgery 2007 Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, June 7 – 10, 2007.
3. deFreitas DJ, Manwaring M, Kardys CM, Mendoza R, Hudson W, Stallings TL, Parker FM, Bogey WM, Powell CS, Stoner M. Cost Equivalency of Open and Endovascular Revascularization in the Treatment of Femoropopliteal Occusive Disease. ECU Surgery Resident Research Day June 2007.
4. Fugo JR, DO, Zeri RS, MD, FACS, Bower CE, MD, Wooden WA, MD, FACS. Acquiring Proficiency In Microsurgery: Utility of Self-Study Training Text in Improving Resident Surgical Aptitude; 2006 ASRM Annual Meeting, January 14-17, 2006. Tucson, Arizona.
5. Hudson W, Collins MC, deFreitas DJ, Sun YS, Muller-Borer B, Kypson AP. Beating and Arrested Intramyocardial Injections are Associated with Significant Mechanical Loss: Implications for Cardiac Cell Transplantation. ECU Surgery Resident Research Day June 2007.
6. Jones P, Kardys CM, Rosenstein S, Mendoza R, Hudson W, deFreitas D, Manwaring M, Pofahl WE. Cost Effectiveness of the Ligasure Device for Thyroid Surgery. ECU Surgery Resident Research Day June 2007.
7. Kaleka GS, Manwaring ML, Parker FM, Kardys CM, Powell CS, Bogey M, Stoner MC. Correlation of Cerebral Oximetry with Internal Carotid Artery Stump Pressures during Carotid Endarterectomy. ECU Surgery Resident Research Day June 2007.
8. Kardys CM, Manwaring ML, Powell CS, Bogey WM, Parker FM, and Stoner MC.
“The Use of Intravascular Ultrasound to Improve Utilization of Inferior Vena Cava Filters in a High Risk Population” Presented at the Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida from March 21-24, 2007.
9. Kardys CM, Manwaring ML, deFteitas DJ, Hudson DW, Mendoza RM, Parker FM, Bogey WM, Powell CS, Stoner MC. An Appraisal of Vena Cava Morphology During Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass: A Unique Application of Intravascular Ultrasound. ECU Surgery Resident Research Day June 2007.
10. Manwaring ML, Parker FM, Kardys CM, Powell CS, Bogey WM, and Stoner MC. East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, USA. “Correlation of Cerebral Oximetry with Internal Carotid Artery Stump Pressures in Carotid Endarterectomy” Presented at the Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery 35th Annual Symposium, Orlando, Florida, March 21-24, 2007
11. Manwaring ML, deFreitas DJ, Kardys CM, Hudson W, MendozaRM, Powell CS, Parker FM, Bogey WM, Anderson CA, Chitwood WR, Stoner MC. Development of a Novel Model of Paraysis in Thoracic Aortic Endovascular Repair. ECU Surgery Resident Research Day June 2007.
12. Mendoza RM, Kardys CM, Manwaring ML, deFreitas DJ, Hudson W, Holbert D, Pofahl WE. Short Stay Endocrine Surgery is Safe in Rural Patients. North Carolina Chapter, American College of Surgeons, Resident Research Form, Ashville, NC July 2007
13. Schenarts PJ, Phade SV, Bard MR, Rotondo MF. The Surgical Morbidity & Mortality Conference: Can it be Used to Meet the Competency Requirement? Poster Presentation at the Southeastern Surgical Congress’ Annual Scientific Meeting, Savannah, GA, February 2007.
14. Phade SV, Schenarts PJ, Bard MR, Goettler CE, Newell MA, Sagraves SG, Toschlog EA, Rotondo MF. Significance of Field Hypotension in Patients Who Arrive Normotensive at the Trauma Center, North Carolina Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Resident & Fellow Research Paper Competition 2006.
15. Sagraves SG, Phade S, Spain T, Bard MR, Goettler CE, Schenarts PJ, Toschlog EA, Newell MA, Cairns B, Peck M, Rotondo MF. A Collaborative Systems Approach to Rural Burn Care. Poster presentation at the Southern Medical Association's 19th Annual Southern Region Burn Conference, Durham, NC, November 2006.
16. Phade SC, Williams SL, Sun YU, Jones PB, Salleng K, Tyson GH, Nifong LW, Chitwood WR, Powell CS, Stoner MC. The effects of poly ADP-ribose polymerase inhibition in an animal model of contrast nephropathy. North Carolina Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, 50th Annual Meeting, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, July 7 – 9, 2006.
17. Phade SV, Domby BC, Nifong LW, Rodridguez E, Vos P, Chitwood WR. TEE and Direct Measurements for Annuloplasty Band Selection in Robotic Mitral Valve Repairs. North Carolina Chapter, American College of Surgeons, Resident Research Form, Ashville, NC July 2007
18. Reade CC, Kypson AP, Mohr FW, Chitwood Jr. WR. Robotically-assisted repair of a partially avulsed papillary muscle secondary to blunt trauma. Southern Thoracic Surgical Association. 2006.
19. Tyson GH, Rodriguez E, Williams S, Jones P, Freund W, Phade S, Williams JM, Koutlas TC, Ferguson TB, Chitwood WR, Kypson, AP. The effect of “super obesity” on adverse outcome after cardiac surgical procedures. Southern Thoracic Surgical Association Program. p.128. 2006.
20. Bard MR, Goettler CE, Toschlog EA, Sagraves SG, Schenarts PJ, Newell MA, Tyson GH, Rotondo MF. Risk Factors for the Development of Decubitus Ulcers in Trauma Patients. Poster presentation at the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma's 65th Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, September 2006.
21. Williams, SL, BJ Jones, Pofahl WE. Effect of Vitamin D levels on preoperative parathyroid adenoma localization and intraoperative parathyroid hormone response. Amer. Assoc. Endocrine Surgeons Annual Meeting, New York, NY, May 2006.
22. Williams S, Kardys CM, Rosenstein S, Mendoza R, Hudson W, deFreitas D, Manwaring M, Pofahl WE. Financial Comparison of Intraoperative Parathyroid Hormone Testing. ECU Surgery Resident Research Day June 2007.