The College of Health and Human Performance
[View a graphical timeline on the history of Health & Human Performance at ECU]
After only 10 years as a school, the complexity and growth of our programs has allowed us to reorganize as a college. The original Department of Physical Education was a component of the East Carolina Teachers Training School in 1907. With each succeeding status change for ECU, e.g., from Teachers Training School, to Teachers College, to East Carolina College, to East Carolina University, the department assumed greater status. By the time East Carolina became a university, a large and strong Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Safety resided in the College of Arts and Sciences. With over sixty-five faculty members the school is among the largest and most productive on campus.
In 1982, the Human Performance Laboratory was instituted and immediately established itself as an important campus-wide facility for research and clinical programs dealing with an array of scientific and health-related issues.
In 1993, the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Safety became the eleventh professional school on the East Carolina University campus. Dr. Carolyn Hampton was appointed Interim Dean, and in 1994 Dr. Christian Zauner assumed the position of founding Dean of the College of Health and Human Performance.
In 1999, Dr. Glen Gilbert was named the second Dean of the school after spending two years as ECU Chair of the Department of Health Education and Promotion. Dr. Gilbert is a noted authority and scholar on topics of public health, and school health education. Dr. Gilbert received his doctorate from the Ohio State University, and has held positions with the U.S. Public Health Service, the University of Maryland, Portland State University, and UNC-Greensboro. In 2003 the School of Health & Human Performance became the College of Health & Human Performance. Dr. Jim Decker and Dr. Susan McGhee serve the college as Associate Deans.