FAQCenter for Counseling and Student Development

Where are you located?
137 Umstead Building; Enter through the back entrance facing
Slay Building, turn right, and follow the signs into our reception area

I'm new - do I need an appointment to see a counselor?
Yes, please contact our office beginning
Fridays at 1 pm to schedule a triage appointment.
If you are in crisis, you may come in for a same-day
appointment Monday - Friday 
between the hours of
11 am - 4 pm or call us at 252-328-6661 anytime.

If I'm an ongoing client, how do I make an appointment?
Call the Center at 252-328-6661 any weekday between 8am - 5pm.

What is the cost for your services?
They are FREE to enrolled ECU Students.

What if I experience a crisis at night OR on a weekend?
You can access our On-Call Counselor by contacting our office at 252-328-6661
and following the phone prompts for the after-hours counseling services.
If you are away from the Greenville area, please call 911.

Do you have student workers at CCSD?
Currently, the Center employs graduate-level mental health students
who receive supervision and training through our Center as they see clients.

Will my parents or professors know about my counseling?
Check out our confidentiality policy here!

Is it true that you will not treat some students?
Our Center operates on a brief-model of therapy. If a student presents an issue that
may require more intensive or long-term treatment, the clinician may provide
referrals for community options to best meet their needs.

What if I need medication?
Our in-house psychiatry staff assists students in 
obtaining appropriate medication prescriptions.

What if I need a medical or psychological withdrawal?
Please contact the Dean of Students office.
Their information regarding withdrawals can be found

Do you have counselors who can work with
people from varying backgrounds and cultures?

Absolutely, our staff members are culturally competent and open to
working with any student in need of assistance.

Is there a limit to how long I can receive counseling at CCSD?
Being a short-term facility, typically a student will receive
approximately 4-8 sessions and typically no more than 12 in
an academic year. Should a student’s needs exceed this amount,
a possible referral out into the community may be pursued.


Do you provide documentation for me to have an Emotional Support Animal?

The Center for Counseling and Student Development does not provide

documentation to students that will support obtaining or prescribing

an Emotional Support Animal. While an animal may be able to provide comfort to

students, it is not within our training or scope of practice to provide the documentation

supporting the presence of a disability that substantially limits an area of major

functioning to an extent that requires the presence of an animal.

Students may request a summary of care in lieu of a prescriptive letter,

although this is often insufficient.


Have a question that you don't see addressed? Please call us at 252-328-6661!

In crisis?

Come in M - F between 11 am - 4 pm for a brief crisis screening or call us at 252-328-6661 (press '2' if after-hours).