Campus Recreation and Wellness


How do I register for Personal Training?

To register you will need to stop by the SRC Main Office to complete a Personal Training Request Form and pay for your package.  A trainer will then contact you within 2 - 3 business days to set up your first appointment.

How long does a personal training session last?

CRW has a variety of package options including 30 minute sessions up to 1 hour sessions.

If I want a Fitness Assessment, do I need to purchase the Fitness Assessment separately from my Personal Training package?

No, you can use one of your Personal Training Sessions to have a Fitness Assessment completed.  In fact, it is encouraged that you have some type of assessment completed during your 1st session so you have baseline information on your current health and fitness status.

Can I get a refund for my Personal Training Sessions?

Refunds are only given in the event of a medical emergency.  Documentation from your physician is required indicating the reasons you can no longer participate in your personal training sessions.

How long do I have to complete my personal training package?

Packages expire 60 days from the date of purchase.  Exceptions include those who are placed on a waiting list and packages bought immediately prior to the December winter break and the week of Spring Break.

Can I request a specific trainer?

Yes, if you know the name of the trainer that you would like to work with, you can list their name on top of your Personal Trainer request form.  If we cannot place you with your requested trainer we will call you and offer recommendations of other trainers.

Can I specifically request a male or female trainer?

Yes, when you complete your Personal Trainer request form you can write “prefer male/female trainer” on the top of the form.  Please note that you may be placed on a waiting list if we can not immediately accommodate your request.

What if I need to cancel my appointment with my trainer?

You will need to contact your trainer directly by phone and give them a 4 hour notice if you need to cancel your session.  If a 4 hour notice is not given, you will forfeit your session.

What if I cannot reach my trainer by phone? 

If you cannot reach your trainer by phone, leave them a message and then call the CRW Main Office at 328-6387 and we will arrange to get the message relayed to your trainer.  However always make all reasonable effort to contact your trainer directly before calling the office.

What if I am late for my personal training appointment?

If you are late for your session, you will forfeit the time that you are late.  So if your appointment is from 4-5pm and you arrive at 4:15pm, your trainer will meet with you until 5pm and the 15 minute that you missed will be forfeited.

What if my trainer is late to our Personal Training appointment?

If your trainer is late to your scheduled appointment they are obligated to make up that time to you either in that session or on a future session.

What do I do if ECU implements the inclement weather policy? 

The Student Recreation Center may still be open even if the University is closed or on a delayed schedule.  In the event of inclement weather, please call the SRC Hotline (328-6443) if you are unsure if the SRC is closed.  You, the client, is responsible for calling your trainer at least 4 hours prior to your appointment if you are unable to keep your appointment due to inclement weather.

How do I find my trainer for my 1st appointment?

You and your trainer should communicate on where you will meet for your initial session when you set up your first appointment.  All trainers should be wearing a black shirt with “Personal Trainer” written in gold on the back of the shirt.  If you have difficulty finding your trainer, a Customer Service staff member should be able to assist you.

What should I wear to my Personal Training sessions?

You should come dressed to exercise for all sessions (even your 1st one).  Proper dress includes: athletic shirt/t-shirt, exercise pants, capris, or shorts (preferably shorts that go to mid-thigh or knee), sports bra (for women), athletic shoes, etc.

Are there specific things I should or should not do prior to my fitness assessment?

Yes, when coming in for a fitness assessment:

  • You should wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes.
  • Drink plenty of fluids over the 24 hours prior to your assessment to ensure normal hydration
  • Avoid food, alcohol, and tobacco 3 hours prior to your assessment
  • Avoid exercise or strenuous activity the day of your assessment
  • Get an adequate amount of sleep (6-8 hours) the night before your test.

Should I eat prior to my training session?

YES – while it is not recommend that you eat immediately before you work out – unless it is a light snack, you should make sure that you have at least eaten something within 4 hours prior to your session.  Food is fuel and is needed to sustain you through your workout.

What is your policy on clients with certain health issues?

Campus Recreation and Wellness (CRW) is not a medically supervised facility and we are not equipped to handle certain high risk clients.  Therefore, CRW reserves the right to refuse service to individuals who fall under the “High Risk” classification established by the American College of Sports Medicine.

Individuals who fall into this risk classification are at high risk for cardiovascular, pulmonary, and/or metabolic diseases and will need medical clearance prior to engaging in exercise testing and programming and may need medical supervision to participate in an exercise test or program.  For more information please refer to the American college of Sports Medicine Risk Stratification Protocols.

Who are the CRW Personal Trainers?

All of our trainers are ECU students.  Many of them are Exercise and Sport Science majors, however any student with an expressed interest in becoming a CRW Personal Trainer can apply.

How do I become a CRW Personal Trainer?

You would complete a CRW Student Employment application listed Under Student Positions by clicking on the jobs link at  If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted by phone to schedule the interview.

Do I need to be certified to become a CRW Personal Trainer?

You do not need to be certified to become a CRW Personal Trainer as you will go through an extensive training process, however obtaining a nationally recognized certification (ACSM, NSCA, ACE, AFAA, etc.) is highly recommended and preferred.

What is the training process for CRW Personal Trainers?

CRW Personal Trainers go through 18-20 hours of classroom instruction and are required to complete practice training sessions, fitness assessments, and observation hours.  After completion of these activities, trainers go through a practical test to demonstrate skills and knowledge.  All CRW Personal Trainers are strongly encouraged to obtain a nationally recognized Personal Trainer certification within 3 months of employment.

What are Specialized Fitness Classes? 

Specialized Fitness Classes are non-credit instructional programs and clinics and most options require pre-registration.  These classes may meet only one time or weekly depending on the type of class or clinic.  Weekly classes are taught by the same instructor at the same time each week.  Weekly classes are usually progressive in nature, have a fee associated with it, and are instructed by a specialist in that activity.  Classes taught may include, yoga, Pilates, martial arts based classes, fitness workshops, and various dance classes. 

How do I register for Specialized Fitness Classes? 

To register you will need to stop by the SRC Main Office.  Even if the class is free you still need to register, unless it is a Try It Tuesday class. 

What if I do not know if I will like the class? Can I try the class first? 

For most of our classes that meet for 4 weeks or longer we allow participants to try the class during the very first class meeting prior to registering for the class.  After the 1st class meeting, customers are not allowed to participate in the class without registering for the class.

I tried to register on-line and I do not see the class listed, what is going on? 

On-line registration for classes will close after the 2nd class meeting.  Special permission is needed to be added to the class after the 2nd class meeting.  You will also have to come by the SRC Main Office and register in person.  Each class builds on the other, therefore the instructor uses their discretion as to whether or not adding new participants will disrupt the flow of the class. 

Who teaches the Specialized Fitness Classes? 

Classes are taught by ECU Students and professionals in the ECU community who are either registered or certified in their discipline or they have extensive experience teaching their program. 

Can I get a refund for the Mind, Body, Dance Class that I am registered? 

Refunds are only given up to 3 business days prior to the start of the class.  So if a class is scheduled to begin at 6:30 am on a Monday, then the latest you can request a refund would be prior to 6:30 am the Wednesday before the program is set to begin.  The only exception to this policy is in the event of a medical emergency and documentation from your physician is required indicating the reasons you can no longer participate in physical activity. 

For most of our classes that run for 4+ weeks, we allow participants to Try Before You Buy during the 1st class meeting only.  If you are unsure if you will like the class, we encourage you to wait and register after you try the class.

Why aren’t refunds given for Specialized Fitness Classes? 

Refunds are not granted because we work with contracted instructors and the decision to hold a class is based on the number of participants registered for the class. 

How will I know if a class is cancelled due to low enrollment or other situations? 

CRW will make every effort to contact you in the event that a class is cancelled.  An email will be sent to your ECU email account or the email address that you have listed in our on-line registration system.  We will also try to attempt to call you, however in order for that to happen you will want to verify that our office has your correct phone number.  In addition, a sign will be posted on the studio door in the event that you did not receive our email and in most circumstances we will arrange to have a CRW employee meet you at the studio to also relay the message. 

Do I need to bring my own mat to Yoga/Pilates/Barre classes? 

Yes, it is recommended that you bring your own yoga mat to any Yoga/Pilates/Barre classes in which you are registered.  There may be some mats in the studio, however they are not the “sticky” yoga mats. 

What if I want to teach a Specialized Fitness Classes?

If you have a physical activity/fitness related skill or talent that you would like to share with the ECU community and would like to be considered as an instructor please contact Suzanne McDonald at 252-328-6387 or at

 Personal Training Staff Contact– Suzanne McDonald