Frequent Asked Questions

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Share Facebook Icon Twitter Icon
Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question about Student Health Services (SHS)?  You may find your answer here. Click on a subject to see a list of our FAQs. 
(links open to content below)

General SHS Information

Where is Student Health Services (SHS) located? Student Health Services is centrally located on Main Campus between the Flanagan building and Joyner East.

Are services free? The student health fee included in tuition of students taking on campus courses covers the office visit fee at SHS. Other services, including lab, x-ray, and pharmacy are not included in the student health fee but are offered at reduced prices. Students taking online courses only do not pay a health fee and therefore will be charged a visit fee in addition to any other charges incurred during the visit.

Where can I park? SHS has a limited number of designated parking spaces between the Student Health Center building and Slay Hall. These spaces are marked "Urgent Care Parking Only" and can be utilized with a special parking permit available from our front office staff. If those spaces are not available, there are metered lots by the ECU Blount Building on 10th Street or behind Joyner Library. Students and visitors are reminded to be aware of parking requirements in campus lots as SHS cannot assist with or provide excuses for parking tickets or towing.

Do I need my ECU 1 Card to be seen at SHS? Yes. Students cannot receive service or check in for appointments without providing their ECU 1Card for identification.

I am too sick to walk to SHS. Can you come pick me up? SHS cannot provide personal transportation. Students seeking service at SHS who do not feel they can walk to our facility need to arrange transportation via personal vehicle, through a friend, or through ECU transit. Students too ill to come to SHS by the aforementioned means should call 911 for EMS transport to the hospital.

Does SHS have real doctors and nurses? Absolutely! Our entire SHS health care team is comprised of fully licensed, certified, and credentialed professionals. On occasion we may have a medical resident or nurse practitioner student who is completing a clinical rotation here at SHS, but all of our permanent staff are REAL doctors, nurses, lab technicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nursing assistants, pharmacists, and radiology technicians.

What do I do if SHS is closed? If it is an emergency, dial 911 or seek care at Vidant Medical Center's emergency department. If it is not an emergency, call our main phone line at (252) 328-6841 and you will be connected with a free, 24 hour nurse line that can help give you advice about your issue. Visit our After Hours Care page for more information.

I need to see a specialist.  Can SHS help me? Our providers here at SHS have a broad background in areas of family practice, internal medicine, sports medicine, and women's health so they are comfortable treating a variety of illnesses, chronic diseases, and injuries. However, should a specialist's care be indicated, SHS is happy to arrange a referral to an outside provider in the Greenville area.

What is a 'provider'? A 'provider' at SHS is the term we use for our doctors, nurse practitioners, and physician assistant.

Does SHS provide class excuses or notes for missing class? It is university policy that SHS does not provide excuses to students for class absences due to illness. Responsibility for class attendance rests primarily with the students who should communicate directly with their instructors. The Student Health Service cannot verify the impact of an illness on a student's ability to attend class. Upon request, students will be given a copy of the non-excuse note in order to confirm that the student has received medical care. Due to confidentiality policies, SHS will not release or discuss the nature of the problem, with anyone other than the student, without their written consent; only verification of date and/or time will be given.

Can I still come to SHS after I graduate? Due to anti-trust laws, students who graduate are no longer allowed to use SHS. SHS does allow one visit, within 2 weeks of graduation, for students who need to return for follow up or to have prescriptions refilled. Students who graduate are encouraged to sign an Authorization for the Use and Disclose of Protected Health Information form and have their pertinent medical records transferred from SHS to their outside provider of choice.

Who can I contact if I have a comment about SHS or a complaint? We strive to provide the best possible service to our ECU community. If we did not meet this goal with you, we encourage you to contact us. You can download a comment form to mail to us, or come in to SHS to fill one out. We take all comments very seriously and will respond to each and every one. If you were pleased with your visit or interaction with SHS, let us know that too! We enjoy sharing kudos with our hard working and dedicated SHS staff.