ECU's eduroam (
roaming) wireless network is a secure world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. Many institutions are now members, including several from the UNC university system.
A registered user/device has an automatic internet connection wherever eduroam is available. For example, if an NCSU professor visits the ECU campus, s/he can join the ECU eduroam network using NCSU credentials. Once you complete enrollment (called, onboarding), your access is good for four years.
*This network is no longer available
Yes! Users only onboard once and access is good for four years. An email confirms successful enrollment, and users are reminded in four years to re-enroll.
Note: You cannot join the eduroam network using a wireless device until you have completed the onboarding process:
- Off Campus: Visit onboard.ecu.edu | On Campus: Join the ecu-wifi network
- Install the certificate on each wireless device
- Authenticate using your PirateID and passphrase
- Students. Do not attempt to log on to the eduroam network without first onboarding. See the instructions below.
- Faculty and staff. Staff who access any ECU wireless network using a personal Mac or Windows laptop, tablet or phone (Android, iOS, Windows) should enroll with eduroam now.
Mac users who log in to the ECU network using their PirateID can enroll using the personal Mac instructions (see tutorial link this page). Wireless Windows systems that log in to the INTRA domain are automatically enrolled.
A registered PirateID and passphrase are required. ECU visitors with no PirateID require a sponsored guest account.
On campus | Internet access | Registered PirateID
- Join ecu-wifi SSID (network). The Sign On page opens**
- If the Sign On page does not automatically open, open a browser and navigate to http://www.ecu.edu.
- Sign on with your PirateID/passphrase.
- Click Accept for the Acceptable Use Policy
- You will be automatically redirected to complete the Sign On process.
- Once the Sign On process is complete, you will be redirected to http://onboard.ecu.edu to begin the onboarding process for eduroam.
- If the Onboard Portal Sign On page does not automatically open, open a browser and navigate to http://onboard.ecu.edu.
- Click the Begin Onboarding Process button.
- The ECU Network Configuration Utility page opens. Read the screen message and confirm:
- the correct browser
- the correct OS
- Check that your OS** is correct and click the JoinNow button.
- Run the JoinNow wizard - this installs a certificate to your device (each wireless device must onboard to join eduroam).
- Authenticate with your PirateID and passphrase.
You receive an auto-generated email to confirm your enrollment and can now join the ECU eduroam network.
**Supported operating systems include Android, Chrome OS, iPhone/iPad, Kindle Fire, Linux, Mac OS X El Capitan, Mac OS X Mavericks, Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Mac OS X Yosemite, Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows RT. This process does not yet support Windows mobile, Blackberry or Nokia.