Please do not delete this element or the one below. This element will only be displayed in author mode.
To turn the alert below on or off, follow these steps
Communicable DiseaseLiveSafe App
Clinical Staff Safety
Fire and Life SafetySafety Reps & Building Administrators
Chemical and Hazardous Waste
Contaminated Surplus Property
Animals on Campus
Workers' Compensation Program
1. Upon discovering a fire, immediately sound the building fire alarm and/or alert other occupants. The nearest fire alarm station is ________________________________.
2. If the fire is small, you may fight it with a fire extinguisher from a position of escape if you have been trained in the proper use of fire extinguishers and if you feel it is safe to do so. Be sure to sound the alarm first, and be sure that you are using the proper extinguisher for the type of fire you are fighting. When in doubt, just get out!
3. If the fire cannot be extinguished easily or if you are not trained in the proper use of a fire extinguisher, call 911, giving your name, department, and location of the fire.
4. If the fire is large, very smoky, or spreading rapidly, evacuate the building immediately. Inform others in the building who may not have responded to the alarm to evacuate immediately.
5. When you evacuate, do not stop for personal belongings or records. Leave immediately using the nearest exit stairways, not the elevators.
6. Evacuate to the designated evacuation site for the building and out of the way of emergency personnel. Do not return to the building until instructed to do so by ECU Police.
7. Do not walk or stand in a smoke cloud.
8. Notify either the ECU Police or firefighters on the scene if you suspect someone may be trapped inside the building.
9. The nearest fire extinguisher or fire hose is located at ________________________
10. The nearest primary exit is located at ___________________________
11. The nearest secondary exit is located at _____________________________
*Crawl if there is smoke
*Close as many doors as possible as you leave
*Feel doors before opening.
*Go to the nearest exit or stairway that is not blocked by fire, heat or smoke
*Always use an exit stairway, not an elevator
*Only use a fire extinguisher if you know how
*Keep the doors closed
*Signal for help by hanging an object out the window
*Cook in approved areas or kitchen and use UL listed appliances
*Be careful with electricity and do not overload circuits
*Smoke carefully and only in authorized areas
*Do not leave appliances unattended
*Report the damaged fire equipment to ECU Facility Services and Environmental Health and Safety 328-6166.
Stop, Drop and Roll.
Main Campus911, or 328-6150 if calling from a cellular phone
Health Sciences Campus744-2246