Student Grievance - Interim

Version 1 (Current Version)
All Versions:
  • Version 1

1. Introduction

A grievance arises under this Regulation when a student believes, based on established administrative policies and procedures, that he or she has been treated in an arbitrary or capricious manner or been subjected to inappropriate behavior by a University office, department or other unit or division (herein referred to collectively as “unit”) or a representative of the University (faculty or staff).

2. Grievances Not Covered by this Regulation

2.1. The following grievances are not covered by this Regulation:

2.1.1. A student grievance, complaint or appeal that is covered by any other University or UNC System policy, regulation or rule, including, but not limited to, the following: Grievances involving allegations of discrimination, harassment or retaliation based on membership in a protected class as set forth in the University’s Notice of Nondiscrimination Policy. These grievances should be referred to the Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity (see link to policy above); Graduate and Undergraduate Grade appeals, which are handled pursuant to the applicable grade appeal policy (see link to policy above); Graduate student appeals of adverse academic actions and decisions (see link to policy above); and Institutional Complaints, which are handled pursuant to the Institutional Complaints Standard Operating Procedure, (see link to SOP above).

3. Informal Grievance Resolution

Prior to bringing a grievance against a University unit or representative, students are encouraged to attempt a good-faith resolution of the grievance directly with the party involved with the disputed matter and/or with the head of the unit in which the grievance arises. Attempts at informal resolution should be initiated within 30 calendar days of the incident(s) in dispute.

4. Formal Grievance Resolution Process

Should a situation arise in which a student is unable to resolve his or her grievance informally, the formal grievance resolution process may be employed. This process, outlined below, should be initiated within 30 days of the failed informal resolution, if applicable.

4.1 Step I: A formal grievance is presented in writing to the Associate Vice Chancellor /Dean of Students (125 Umstead Hall). This written grievance must include the following:

4.1.1. Name, address, email address and telephone number of the student bringing the grievance;

4.1.2. Identification of the office or individual against whom the grievance is brought;

4.1.3. A detailed description of the specific University action or individual behavior resulting in this grievance;

4.1.4. The date(s) or period of time during which the behavior occurred and the location of the incident(s); and

4.1.5. A listing of all individuals who witnessed any part of the incident in dispute.

4.2. Step II: Upon receipt of the formal grievance covered by this Regulation, an investigator will be appointed within xxx calendar days by the Associate Vice Chancellor/ Dean of Students to investigate the allegations in the grievance.

4.2.1. The investigator shall review the written grievance and gather the pertinent facts and information, which may include determining the involvement of pertinent supervisors, department chairs and deans in the investigation. Depending upon the grievance, pertinent data such as interviews and documents, may be gathered by the investigator or the University unit involved in the grievance. If the grievance involves a University unit or representative acting within the course and scope of their official duties, without allegations of personal misconduct, the facts, information, data and any findings or recommendations are then presented to the unit involved for final resolution of the grievance.

4.2.2 If the grievance is based on allegations of personal misconduct by a faculty member or staff member, the investigator gathers pertinent information as described in the preceding section and presents it to either the Provost or Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences (faculty complaint) or the Director of Employee Relations (staff complaint) for final resolution of the grievance.

4.3 If a grievance cannot be resolved after exhausting East Carolina University's complaint procedure described above, or any other applicable campus procedures, the student may file a complaint with the following agencies:

4.3.1. North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints (see contact information above);

4.3.2. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) (see contact information above);

4.3.3. Any applicable state agency (see contact information above: or

4.3.4. Complaints about East Carolina University may also be filed by students who do not reside in North Carolina by contacting the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA), which serves as the portal for the National Council for State Reciprocity (SARA) (see contact information above)